Sunday, January 23, 2005

Signs of spring

I went out in the yard today for the first time in several weeks to do some chopping and sorting and weeding, and was surprised to find all sorts of wonderful, hopeful signs of spring being just around the corner.

In the carport, I found the pot with last year's grape hyacinths sprouting 3-4" new shoots:



Daffodils (or tulips, I can't quite remember what I put in this pot) starting to arise:


Lots of new fennel growth emerging from what I cut down last year - wow, I love the texture of this plant, its featheriness and intensely bright green:


Not quite sure what these are, but there are a lot of them - I seem to recall that these are daffodils, but since I didn't plant them I'm not sure:


I'm a bit worried that a late freeze is going to kill all of these, but hopefully I can plan ahead and mulch them if it's going to get cold. The hydrangea on the porch is also showing new leaves, as are several of the roses. No sign of growth from the Old House Gardens tulips yet, but I'm sure they're awake under the soil.

This is the great part of being a gardener -- winter, the part of the year in which nothing is growing, is so blessedly short out here in the Pacific Northwest. I had things blooming through late October, early November. Then just eight short weeks and the spring bulbs are coming up! I don't think I could ever move back to somewhere like Ohio where the ground stays covered with snow through March.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Winter might be short in weeks, but the gloom of short days lasts a long time here in the NW. :-( I miss, kinda, winters in Denver ... we got dumped on pretty frequently, but they are not kidding when they say the sun shines in that city 300 days a year, and it was not unusual to go from a day with 12" of snow to bright sunshine the next day. Seattle's unseasonably warm weather this week was, as I'm sure we all noticed, still gray. :-)

Signed,

Always whining about Seattle weather, aka Mike

Anonymous said...

Winter might be short in weeks, but the gloom of short days lasts a long time here in the NW. :-( I miss, kinda, winters in Denver ... we got dumped on pretty frequently, but they are not kidding when they say the sun shines in that city 300 days a year, and it was not unusual to go from a day with 12" of snow to bright sunshine the next day. Seattle's unseasonably warm weather this week was, as I'm sure we all noticed, still gray. :-)

Signed,

Always whining about Seattle weather, aka Mike

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails