Sunday, February 06, 2005

Garden and books

I went out yesterday and pruned the roses, which always fills me with fear. This is only the second time I've ever done this in my life, but they didn't die from it last year, so I'm hoping we'll be okay. Anyone know if it's really important to seal the cuts with white glue? Leave a comment if you do.

Shortly after I finished doing this, we had a freakish slush storm - piles of gray quik-e-mart slushee falling from the sky. Two hours after that it was 54 degrees. Who can figure out what's going on in Seattle this winter?? Not me.

Reading right now:
  • The Art of the Kitchen Garden, in line with my current obsession with potagers and decorative edible gardens. Boy is this a beautiful piece of work.
  • Seven Blessings, Ruchama King - learning all about Jewish stuff from this one. :)

Just finished:

Noodling my way through between other books:

  • Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson - I like it. But it's SO long. I'm over two thirds through it, so I'll finish it, but I put it aside from time to time in favor of something more digestible.
  • A Sideways Look at Time, Jay Griffiths - on loan to me from Judy at work. Loving this, but reading it irregularly.

Started and gave up in disgust:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I use to prune back my roses all the time when I was in Phoenix. I just moved to Spokane and I did a major pruning in the fall and covered them with pine needles. They tell me that's what you should do. I have NEVER put anything on the pruned canes before

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails