Sunday, February 27, 2005

Reading, pt 2

Back in my post in early January about things I wanted to do this year, I said I was going to keep a running list of books I'd been reading. I try to do this every year, because I like looking back through them later to see which ones have left an impression, but my lists are sporadic at best.

So since reading is the subject lately on here, I thought I'd try to get a starting list together. As far as I can remember, this is what I've been reading since the list was formed:


  • Rules of the Wild, Francesco Marciano - loved this one, but I posted about that a few days ago.
  • Magical Thinking, Augustan Burroughs - disliked the first couple chapters, which seemed like a clone of David Sedaris, but after that it got very unique and absorbing. I enjoyed it enough that I followed it up with...
  • Among Flowers, Jamaica Kinkaid - great, classic Kinkaid
  • The Sweet Life - Reflections on Home and Garden, Lauara Stoddan. Eh. Nothing special.
  • Stone Garden, Molly Moynahan - bought it ages ago, finally read it. What to say about this one? It was one of the most beautifully done but incredibly painful books I've read in a while. I had to keep putting it down to sob convulsively. But it wasn't sappy, just incredibly real. I'm glad I read it. I'm keeping my distance from it now, but will probably read it again someday.
  • Creative Vegetable Gardening, Joy Larken - potager stuff
  • The Art of the Kitchen Garden, Jan Gertley - ditto
  • Encyclopedia of Snow, Sarah Maino - I. Did. Not. Get. This. Weirdweirdweird. Random bits of stuff that's supposed to form a story but I did not see said story amid all the bits. Interestingly, I can't find this on Amazon.
  • The Center of Everything, Laura Moriarty - enjoyed it, but a couple days after finishing it I couldn't remember what it was about.
  • 3-4 guidebooks about Paris. (January obsession #1)
  • 5-6 books on kitchen design. (January obsession #2)
  • Nearly all of Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson - I like it, I really do, and I'm almost done. But the book is so fricking heavy, physically. It's not like you can read it in the bathtub, or at the gym. Just hefting it is a workout in itself.
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, Mark Haddon - wonderful.
  • The Good Wife Strikes Back, Elizabeth Buchan - expected your typical chick book and was pleasantly surprised. This is one of those plots I find myself able to recall a month later.
  • Invisible Acts of Power, Carolyn Myss
  • A Sideways Look at Time, Jay Griffiths
  • The Last Pope, David Osborne - I bought this because I'm a sucker for stuff about the papacy, but I only got about a quarter of the way through before I had to throw the book across the room in disgust and scrub my eyeballs with bleach. Good god, what dreck.
  • Blink, Malcolm Gladwell - saw him read from this about a month ago. Great book. Mike, did I give this back to you yet? Hope so because I don't see it around here...
  • Miss Wyoming, Douglas Coupland - not bad, not great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, I don't think you did. -- Mike

PS I still have a stack of yours, including Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails