Monday, February 19, 2007

Life on a budget

Now that I'm unemployed and we're living on a budget for the first time in, well, ever, I've given up my $60 haircut habit and reluctantly entered the world of cheapo haircuts. I put it off for as long as I could, using the new baby as a convenient excuse to let my hair go to hell in a handbasket, until this weekend, when I realized that a) I hadn't had a haircut in seven months and b) I couldn't get a comb through it wet or dry and had a social function to go to where I might actually want to look decent.

So off I took myself to the local Supercuts.

Now, I have nothing against Supercuts. Lots and lots of people (including my husband) go there regularly. There's no good reason a haircut needs to cost sixty smackeroos.

But ohhhhhhh my, that was just a very different experience from what I've become accustomed to. Gone was the soft music, muted colors, and soothing ambiance of Gene Juarez. No one hands you a soft cotton gown and whisks your shirt away on a hanger, giving you a little clothing receipt to ensure you get the right items back. No one brings you coffee or ice water. My hairdresser was not a droll and witty gay man. No one massages your head during the shampoo. Heck, they don't even blow dry your 'do unless you shell out another ten bucks.

I didn't really see the point in that, so I went home wet-headed. And a little sad.

BUT - the $16 haircut, if not the haircut experience, was just fine. Aside from the fact that she offered to shave my neck (what? do I have a hairy neck? what was that all about? not being sure I declined), she cut three inches off and gave me layers again and I look just fine.

I am, however, going to widen my search for a cheap but slightly less grungy local place to get my haircuts from now on. Supercuts was just a little bit too depressing for me; I think I can do better and still pay $20 or less.

2 comments:

Jacki said...

I've heard good things about Rudy's. Not sure whether they do anything other than buzzcuts though.

Cheryl said...

I have heard good things about Rudy's too.
If you feel like a road trip every couple of months, I have a gal in Bothell who is as good, or better than the $55/cut gal I used to go to. Jen charges $28.00, and you get shampooed and blow-dried. She is also excellent with color. She cuts kids for $13.00 so we make it kind of a family thing. I like giving her my business as she is the mom of two young boys.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails